"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?"
- Lewis Carroll
In conceiving of a new form of architecture through the language of sleep and dreaming, the conception of ‘Court’ was based heavily on the iterative process of ‘Rabbitholing’. Inspired by Lewis Carroll’s dreamy tale of the lose of innocence, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, the architect of the project and eventuallyits users are put in the spotlight as the cen- tral character in a constant state of an identity crisis.
The story of the project can be seen as four separate chapters— “I is I”, “She is She”, “Who is Who” and “What is What’. Each chapter brings the central character further and further down into the rabbit hole, with each chapter of the process condensed and reflected upon.
I is I - Napping
1. an instant; spur of the moment decisions of kit of parts:
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
- 6’x9’ kraft paper allows for a surface large enough to capture movements of the body - charcoal as main medium: alterable quality
2. after a first try, it becomes experience
- the process becomes part of the memory and is reflected upon
- alterations in the experience: amount of charcoal, containment of charcoal, cleansing
3. repetition turns experience into habit
- habitual process gets scrambled each time due to being after being in a dark room for 30 minutes
4. habit turns into routine
- routine becomes a form of reenactment of initial experience - results vary due to varying circumstances
(reflection on prior experience of routine, events of the day, chapters of the book, time of day, etc)
5. a) routine as realization of a symbolic ritual
- the white rabbit - rabbit holing
- the hole
b) routine with conventional rules - source material
- medium + materials
6. this cycle repeats as procedure #1
- embed edited rules and rituals back into the instant experience -building upon this procedure of rabbit-holing (x8)
Mentor: Michelle Fornabai